Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Summer sessions = savings?

Similar to another blog post about the three year plan versus the four year plan for a bachelor's degree, I was presented with the idea of taking summer classes to help reduce costs.

I wonder if that is true?

There is the obvious payment of tuition fees, but I have heard (don't know if it's true) that some schools do reduced tuition to attend summer classes? Anyone else heard this?

The other thing I was thinking of was ability to hold a job while you're in school. If you spread out your credits a little thinner each semester/trimester due to taking classes in the summer while you wouldn't have as much time in the summer you would have more time during the course of the traditional school year enabling you to work more hours during that time than not.

I would think, and of course this depends on what industry you work in and the city, but you would be able to bring in more income during the school year by working a few more hours part time all year than by only working full time in the summer.

In addition, while the summer courses tend to be somewhat accelerated (in my experience) the classes tend to be a little smaller and I found them to have a slightly more engaged group of students. This may have only been my observation, but I always liked my summer classes.

As far as graduating sooner, it would depend on how many classes you took over the summer and how that worked into your overall schedule. I still hear of it happening where a student gets ahead of schedule with class completion only to have to wait until spring semester to take that one last class that is only offered in the spring or every other year... etc.

Anyone else have observations on summer classes? Help/hurt finances?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!