Friday, April 10, 2009

A good run!

It's pretty cool to see when a collegiate sports team does well how the community rallies behind them, especially in the case of a smaller school.

Quick disclaimer: I live in Minnesota, which I believe means I'm pre-disposed to be a huge hockey fan.

The Bemidji State University Beaver's run to the Frozen Four in the NCAA Men's Hockey tournament was incredible and super fun to watch. Once they upset Notre Dame I think the entire state of Minnesota rallied behind them. Suddenly in places that only vaguely knew about BSU were sporting "Beaver Fever" stuff all over the place. I've never seen that happen with the U of MN Gophers or the UND Sioux. Yes people get excited about them when they do well but it's not the little-kid-at-Christmas kind of excitement that I saw across the entire state with BSU's run to the finals. Even my dad called me earlier in the week to ask if I was going to make it a point to watch the game. (Unfortunately due to work and my commute I only caught the 3rd period...)

Anyway, I thought it was super cool, though a little heartbreaking when they lost last night to Miami Ohio. Don't get me wrong though, this Frozen Four has been super cool with all of these lesser known teams in and not the usual suspects. I think this was definitely a great year for college hockey!

And even though they didn't take the title, I think everyone in Minnesota who followed it was pretty excited about the game and the run to the semi finals. It's cool to see how much a collegiate team can bring together people from all over the place, even some who might normally cheer for another team.

I'm excited for the finals tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!