Friday, April 17, 2009

Applying Online For Free?!?

This concept has been around for a while now so I did some looking into it yesterday and it really surprised me how many schools do this. The college I am attending for my master's program had this, and frankly at the time it appealed to me because of how expensive it was to apply to grad school. For students wanting to apply to multiple colleges the multiple applications can really start ringing up the dollar signs at $30-$75 a pop to apply. Ouch.

So some schools are bucking the trend and making their online application completely free of charge.
Do a quick search on our website and look up these colleges:

Simmons College
Concordia University (OR)
Clarke College
Central Methodist University
Aquinas College
Averett University
Silver Lake College
Hamline University
Regis University
Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology
Ranken Technical College
Viterbo University
Ouachita Community College
Unity College
St. John's University (NY)
Green Mountain College

Totally free to submit an application to these schools. There may be a lot more but this was just on a quick sweep through our member colleges on the site, and what I could find on the first page of the online application.

What I wonder is if this will cause students to apply to schools they may not have or may not be as interested in... I wonder how many attend a school because of being able to apply for free. What I also wonder (I'm very curious today apparently) is how much extra work this might cause an admissions department to weed out students who just applied online because it's free... I don't know. I can't imagine applying to a college I wasn't interested in just because I could, but then again I've seen what my younger brothers who are in high school do when they're bored!

What do you think? Would you submit an application to a school you're not terribly interested in just because it's free? Do you wonder too?

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, none of my choices are on the list..... I also heard that some colleges sometimes want a certain person so badly that they waive his/her application fee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just a small sampling of the schools that may do this- we work with these schools so I had easier access to this information. You should check your school's admission website for more details on application fees. I have heard of application fees being waived more for demonstrated financial hardship than wanting a student particularly badly but I'm sure that can happen too. Good luck with your application!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!