Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hope...

Is there anything else I could possibly write about today?

I've been listening to inauguration coverage since 6:50 this morning and I never thought something political could be this exciting. The simple fact of so many millions of people being excited for today has infected me with their enthusiasm for the day. Even though I've voted in a few other elections now I never bothered to watch the inauguration or swearing in- but then was there as much riding on it as there is today?

I have a lot of hope for some change in the way Higher Ed is handled. I hope that the Financial Aid process can be simplified, I hope that more support can be given to students for attending college, I hope that college costs can be kept down, I hope that some of the regulatory issues (red tape red tape and more red tape) that cause college costs to soar can be dropped... it goes on and on.

Some of these are big issues. How can you cut tuition costs without making the school suffer from less money? How can overall costs of college be kept down? I'm not really sure of answers to these questions or if there are good answers at all, but I would really like to see the new Education Secretary give it a go. Even though he's a K-12 guy there has been enough talk about colleges and enough support from college students of the Obama "movement" (can we call it anything else??) that it should warrant some attention... but I guess we will see!

I'm going to get back to listening to the radio- though I wonder how much more John Phillip Sousa I can take by the end of the day?

Welcome, President Obama!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!