Friday, January 23, 2009

College Students and Democracy

Hearing a radio piece this morning about the debacle going on right now in Minnesota's Senate race made me recall a conversation in November on Election Day with my father.

I had mentioned something about how great I thought it was that so many younger people were getting involved in politics and were so passionate about the election this year. He said "Yeah, that's great, but... (pause... pause... pause...) I don't know if I want their opinion heard.

WHAT?!?!?

Now, I do know with my parents when to choose my battles and this was one where I chose to simply say "Now, that's not very democratic of you." which seemed to suffice... but what I really wanted to do was launch into this:

That's the beauty of being in a democracy. People don't agree. And just because they don't agree with your point of view does not take away the validity of their view or mean that they should stay out of the democratic process. I think it's great to see colleges encouraging this participation in the whole process from start to finish. It's going to give us a more informed populace in the long run, and while we might not see eye to eye on everything it will also teach us how to engage in a healthy debate in our community. There is little I think that is sadder than people who complain that they hate how their community (on any level- neighborhood, city, state, etc) is being run but refuse to take part in any of the fixing process.

I liked that our new President put that back on us as well, not only with his inauguration speech but getting the grass roots movement out and going again. There seems to be a realization from the younger generation- namely, college students- that we have to get out there and fix things ourselves rather than waiting for some superhero president or the government itself to do it.

Again, colleges are hotbeds for this, and the greatest thing is it becomes a social activity, where instead of going to the football game students are out knocking on doors canvassing the community on the latest issues. And it's perfectly socially- even cool if you'll believe that- to do that.

So, take advantage of this while you're in college. Engage in the discussion. Learn about the issues. Talk about them and get involved with them! Then get involved with the organizations that support your views.

Hey, you and I might now always agree, but if we know how to disagree I think that's half the battle... and if we are both willing to work for our causes I think we'll take our whole society forward with us.

I just realized that this morning's radio show probably rekindled a book I heard a review about last night and want to read: Mad for Democracy. And now I can't remember the author... anyone know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!