Friday, May 8, 2009

Prepping for College

It's that time of year...
High school seniors are starting to figure out what in the world they're going to take with them to college. Why figure it out so early? Why graduation gifts, of course!

But from what I have seen happen from my own experiences and from working with freshmen I see a few major things to remember when trying to figure out what to bring for college:

#1- Anything and everything, except the essentials. While I didn't do this myself I did see quite a few students who packed the proper clothing, their electronics, decorations and mementos from home... but no toothbrush. The big chain stores like Target, Walmart and Costco have to do amazing business in college towns selling things like toothbrushes and shampoo that weekend for students who forgot them.

#2 - No Climate Consideration. Beyond knowing what the climate is if you're moving a long way from home, it's important to really understand what hot or cold means in that climate. If you asked me, I would tell you Minnesota gets a little chilly in the winter. If you asked someone from Arizona I don't think you would get the same answer about a Minnesota winter from them, as you wouldn't hear me say the same thing about heat as that person would. This goes both ways. I saw students come to Minnesota sadly under-prepared for our winters, trying to use the winter jacket that got them by in Indiana or wherever they were from. But, when I moved to Texas I had no idea what the heat would be like. The first week I was down there I went out with some friends (in August...) and brought along a sweatshirt. Apparently I didn't realize that the temperature there does not drop 30+ degrees at night like it does in Minnesota.

#3- Too many reminders of high school. This may sound crass, but when you go to school after you've been there a month you're not really going to want all kinds of things that say your high school or hometown all over your dorm room.

And finally #4- Towels: Ten years later I still have towels I was given at my high school graduation party that I have barely ever used that I don't have the heart to retire into cleaning towels. I really got that many... I think EVERYONE decided that I really needed towels going to college so they ALL gave me one. Be aware of that, and maybe put out a few more suggestions for gifts so you're not furnishing your bathroom with towels received at high school graduation for the next ten years of your life.

So, start thinking about what you're bringing, and be aware that you probably don't need 15 full size bath towels when you go to school.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!